Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Migration: Windows to Linux

Here I am with my Ubuntu System (10.04 Lucid Lynx), migrated from windows. Why? well I like to keep exploring new things. So whats new? well I tried following following distributions
  1. OpenSuse 11.3 DVD version.
  2. Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 1CD version
So what did i found about? Well lets break it down to some criteria.



Software Support:-
OpenSuse 10/10  huge support for softwares,including developer tools,laptop tools, multi GUI. (I still prefer Gnome ;) )

Ubuntu  7/10  good software packages, not all included  (its a CD for god's Sake ).

Ease of Use (for a window migrator):

Opensuse 4/10    yeah its a chaos for window guy, LOL. Why? ok Lets look somethings that "turned me Off".
  1. No support for "NTFS" partion on KDE. which is kind of letdown as most people still use ntfs partions (they migrated from windows) and they install opensuse with KDE (which is default) and "BAAAM",  They are like "hmmmmmm... what do I do now?". By the Way Gnome GUI supports NTFS ;)
  2. Getting your internet up is not easy, Why? Yast manages it. And for us Mortals with Windows like to see it in control panel. You can get it working, just have to look for it in Network configuration part in Yast.
  3. Mp3 support............... BAAAAAAM....... yup no default support.
  4. Software management is poor (For a New Window Migrator).

Ubuntu 7/10   Well I loved Ubuntu, Its really nice for new Linux Users. What l didnt like was:-
  1. Comwiz Desktop Effects.... not there??? yeah.   Download it for great Desktop effects.
  2. No mp3 support......... hmmm...........

I like Ubuntu software Centre, A Perfect Place for a new Linux User to get some Softwares, Installation is Easy as Pie. Just need a running internet connection.

Again For those new Linux User who want to play their MP3 Songs, Download Gstreamer Lib.
I remember Using Super OS Ubuntu 9.1 DVD version and it was perfectly packaged with all right softwares (Even with a mp3 Player with codecs, I think it was packed with VLC too)

Over All:-

OpenSuse 7/10
Ubuntu 7/10
Both Distribution are awesome to use, Migration may not be easy but Its your will to learn new things that will make your migration, a fun experience.

P.S. I remember an Old Commercial Ad about Linux which showed a Blonde Boy with a logo "Linux is Growing". At that time I didn't had a clue about Linux, But now I know They were right.
"Long Live Open Source Community"
Ubuntu lucid lynx

1 comment:

r d x said...

open source...!!cool !!